Denture labelling is gaining popularity in geriatric patients particularly for those staying alone or in old age home, especially the ones suffering from dementia or physical vulnerability. Various methods of denture labelling have been proposed by prosthodontists over the years. Prosthodontists are playing an important role in forensic odontology nowadays. This article highlights a method of denture identification marking wherein a patient’s photograph along with his name and emergency contact number is incorporated within the complete denture.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Stevenson RB. Marking dentures for identification. The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. 1987; 58(2):255. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(87)90188-0 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(87)90188-0
- Mohan J, Kumar CD, Simon P. “Denture marking” as an aid to forensic identification. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2012; 12(3):131–6. PMid: 23997461 PMCid: PMC3416932. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13191-012-0125-x DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s13191-012-0125-x
- Reeson MG. A simple and inexpensive inclusion technique for denture identification. J Prosthet Dent. 2001; 86:441–2. PMid: 11677542. https://doi.org/10.1067/mpr.2001.118565 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1067/mpr.2001.118565
- Matsumura H, = Shimoe S. Incorporation of a cast, embossed identification plate into a partial denture framework. J Prosthet Dent. 2002; 88:215–7. PMid: 12397250. https://doi.org/10.1067/mpr.2002.127954 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1067/mpr.2002.127954
- Mahoorkar S, Jain A. Denture identification using unique identification authority of India barcode. J Forensic Dent Sci. 2013; 5:60–3. PMid: 23960418 PMCid: PMC3746476. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.114545 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.114545
- Kumar S, Banerjee S, Dwivedi H, Gupta T, Banerjee A. Personal identification using complete dentures.
- Int J Prosthodont Restor Dent. 2011; 1:132–5. https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10019-1025 DOI: https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10019-1025
- Anehosur GV, Acharya AB. Nadiger RK. Usefulness of patient photograph as a marker for identifying denture-wearers in India. Gerodontology. 2010; 27:272–7. PMid: 19515204. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.17412358.2009.00316.x
- Kareker N, Aras M. Chitre V. A review on denture marking systems: A mark in Forensic Dentistry. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2014 Dec; 14(Suppl 1):4–13. PMID: 26199485 PMCID: PMC4502006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13191-014-0363-1 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s13191-014-0363-1
- Gujjalapudi M, Anam C, Mamidi P, Saxena A, Kumar G, Rathinam J. The new ID proof: A case report of Denture Labeling. J Orofac Res. 2013; 3(1):63–5. https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10026-1067 DOI: https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10026-1067
- Pathak C, Pawah S, Sikri A, Rao I. Unique denture identification system for all Indian Nationals. Contemp Clin Dent. 2018 Jun; 9(1):185–8. PMid: 29962790 PMCid: PMC6006872. https://doi.org/10.4103/ccd.ccd_159_18 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/ccd.ccd_159_18
- Patel D, Datta A, Bhise G, Chethan MD, Nandeeshwar DB. Identification of the deceased in disaster by barcode: Aadhaar-linked complete denture. Int J Forensic Odontol. 2019; 4:43–6. https://doi.org/10.4103/ijfo.ijfo_36_18 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/ijfo.ijfo_36_18