Limitations in forensic odontology
The concept of using dental evidence in forensic investigation has kindled so much interest in the recent past that forensic odontology is even suggested as the single positive identification method to solve certain forensic cases. In this process, the shortcomings in forensic odontology though few are overlooked. These discrepancies associated with various methods are to be weighed cautiously to make forensic odontology a more accurate, reliable, and reproducible investigatory science. In this paper, we present our understanding of the limitations in various methods employed in forensic odontology.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
How to Cite
B Kavitha, A Einstein, B Sivapathasundharam, & T Saraswathi. (2009). Limitations in forensic odontology. Journal of Forensic Dental Sciences, 1(1), 08–10. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-2948.50881
- Kapali S, Townsend G, Richards L, Parish T. Palatal rugae patt erns in Australian aborigines and caucasians. Aust Dent J 1997;42:129-33.
- Thomas CJ, Kotze TW Jr. The palatal rugae patt ern in six Southern African human populations. J Dent Assoc South Africa 1983;38:547-53.
- Alberta Kumar DA J Decay rates in a cold climate region: A review of cases involving advanced decomposition from the medical examinerís offi ce in Edmonton. Forensic Sci 1998;43:57-61.
- Utsuno H, Kanoh T, Tadokoro O, Inoue K. Preliminary study of post mortem identifi cation using lip prints. Forensic Sci Int 2005;149:129-32.
- Sivapathasundharam B, Prakash PA, Sivakumar G. Lip prints (cheiloscopy). Indian J Dent Res 2001;12:234-7.
- Strom F. Investigation of bite marks. J Dent Res 1963;42:312-6.
- Rothwell BR. Bite marks in forensic dentistry: A review of legal and scientifi c issues. J Am Dent Assoc 1995;126:223-32.
- Rawson RD, Brooks S. Classifi cation of human breast morphology important to bite mark investigation. Ann Forensic Med Pathol 1984;5:19-24.
- Barbanel JC, Evans JH. Bite marks in skin-mechanical factors J Forensic Sci Soc 1974;14:235-8.
- Manjunath K, Sriram G, Saraswathi TR, Sivapathasundharam B. Enamel rod end patterns: A preliminary study using acetate peel technique and automated biometrics J Forensic Odontol 2008;1:33-6.
- SA Sholl, Moody GH. Evaluation of dental radiographic identifi cation: An experimental study. Forensic Sci Int 2001;115:165-9.
- Ebert JI. Discussion of the bitemark standard reference scale-ABFO No-2. J Forensic Sci 1988;33:301-4.